Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Unpluging

I finally did it.

I canceled my Facebook.

I've been saying I was going to do it for some time now. The phrase, "Don't talk about it - be about it" has really been challenging me lately, and so I actually deleted my account.

I have a dear friend that lives about 5 miles down the road. Anna-Joy is now nearly 6 months old and this friend still hadn't met her. I dropped by her office the other day, and apologized for not getting together with her sooner. She responded, "It's ok, I've been keeping up through Facebook."

It made me wonder...

If my friend hadn't been able to gratify her desire to meet our daughter by pouring over the endless updates of photos I had posted online, would we have met in reality sooner? Did her cyber-space introduction to Anna-Joy delay the real interaction that can needed to take place?

I imagined myself becoming like the humans on the space-craft in Wall-E. They sat right next to one another, and yet they communicated via computers.

I am afraid of living a life full of pseudo-relationships. I want friends that I really love and that really love me. I want to have coffee, drop by their homes on my way to the grocery store, share dinners, watch movies, go on walks, and talk face to face.

I don't want to constantly update my Facebook status proving how wonderful and exciting my life is. I want to share that wonderful and exciting life with my friends and family.

But as for this blog...

I think it will continue - because I love to write.

Speaking of which, the Father provided me with an awesome job writing short essays online for a company called Demand Studios.

I hope you are blessed by a face-to-face interaction with someone you love today.

Grace & Peace,
Nicole Mahshie

1 comment: