Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Because I tipped the Subway guy...

We have a 2000 Volvo wagon that my parents gave to us when we got married. It has been the primary car for our family and we've been really thankful for it. It's had some issues here and there and the trouble with Volvos is that the parts are expensive. We've had a hard time finding a mechanic we like.

It has needed some work for a while and we finally saved up enough money in our emergency fund (thank you Dave Ramsey) to have the car checked out. After John haggled with the lady on the phone back and forth throughout the day, the best deal they could offer us was $1,083.27 to complete most of work the car needs. We had $1,000 in our emergency fund and John was going to tell the lady, "sorry, but we really can't do any more than $1,000."

We would basically be back at square one, trying to buy parts online, possibly watching tutorials so John could install them, and wasting time and energy and keeping ourselves in a stressful situation. This is, obviously, a lot of money, and a big decision. John was really tense all day as he looked up things on-line, made phone calls, and talked with the dealership.

So it's decision time. Do we draw the line at $1,000 and say goodbye and no thanks to the dealership? John asked me if I had any cash on me other than what we had in the emergency fund. I've been waiting tables lately so I have to keep cash on hand to make change for customers. I counted the money and before I was even done I started laughing. I had exactly $83.27


THIS IS THE COOL PART:

Right before I got home to help make this decision with John I stopped at Subway. I got a famous $5 foot-long and felt strongly from the Father that I needed to tip the guy who made my sandwich (he was really nice to AJ). I really did not want to do this. I had felt like it was a waste of money and was negating my great $5 deal! I struggled with it for a second and reluctantly put the $1 in the jar and left.

Then I came home to a husband in distress who needed to hear from his Father about our car situation. His Father knew what he needed and so he had me give random Subway man that $1 so that the money left in my wallet would be the exact balance needed to pay for the car.

Do you understand how $84 isn't as powerful as the exact amount of $83 needed?

He cares for us you guys! Constantly he is shouting out his love for us. But we are participatory. If I hadn't heard and obeyed the Spirit about tipping the Subway guy, this whole scenario wouldn't exist. There have been SO many times I've heard that still small voice and not trusted, thought I knew better, thought I understood more about wasting a dollar on a guy at Subway.

You know what I'm saying? This stuff is just so exciting! This is what makes life vibrant. We are so poor and needy, dumb, and weak and our Father is so willing to come through for us. He want's to be our Hero, to send us love notes, to give us kisses. But we have to be willing to participate in the process.

Praise Him!

~ Nicole

7 comments:

  1. OMG, I have the biggest smile on my face right now!!! Praise God! And...you can hear His voice!! How awesome is that?? I love you guys. Matt 5:3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our God is great in both the least matters and the HUGE ones. How awesome that He would lead in order for you to be affirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful story! That is Kingdom living in action. It encourages me to hear that, because I've been wrestling with this lately. Every small thing we do, if we do for the sake of the Lord, will work out for good. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice.
    Sounds like you guys had an interesting day after dropping me off. :)
    p.s. I love hanging out with you guys!


    oh, and circumstances DO matter! (hahaha) we just have to have the right eyes and ears.

    ReplyDelete