Thursday, May 31, 2012

I got a Kindle for Christmas and, honestly, I was not excited. I thought it was just another gadget to worry about, keep charged, etc. Besides, I don't often buy books, I borrow them or go the library. THEN I found out about the North Carolina Digital library where I can download books on my kindle for fourteen days for FREE. I was sold. So, by the New Years I made a resolution to read 12 books. I know for a lot of avid readers that is a very low number, but for me, it was a good goal. Here's what I've read so far:

1. Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks - Set on an Island of Martha's Vineyard in the late 1600's, this book is a historical fiction, one of my favorite genres. It was a heavy/dark book to read as it centers on the difficult relationship between the native Indians of the area and the newly arrived westerners, but overall a very good book, I read it pretty fast.

2. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - This is not written by a believer; she has a very different perspective on faith, but her writing style is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the stories of her experiences set in such beautiful backdrops as Italy, India, and Bali.

3. The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno - Written by a believer in California sick of constant consumerism. He simplifies his possessions to 100 things. I think it was his first book so sometimes the actual writing is lacking, but overall it gave me a lot to think about and challenged me in my relationship with "stuff."

4. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - A family decides to live off of only locally sourced foods for a year. So far humorous, interesting, and yet very informative with lots of facts about food production in the US. Intriguing to me because I'm very interested in/passionate about this kind of life-style. I'm still reading, not done yet.

I'm mostly on track to meet my goal! Yay!

I'm not a book critic, but I would recommend all four books if you're looking for something new to read.

~ Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment