Friday, May 4, 2012

I love reading all my friend's blogs. I get impatient if it's been more than a week between posts. Sadly, I'm not able to hold the same standard here. Life is just too busy at this time.

But, I'm taking a moment now to write.

I have been working full time since September. I'm very thankful for my job. The people are wonderful, the office is close to home, and it's giving me the opportunity to establish a career in a field that I could work in for many years to come. The biggest struggle has been letting go of my mental attachments to what I thought my life should look like; namely a stay-at-home mom birthing babies every couple of years. I've had to let go of the images and dreams of what I thought my life should look like, and thankfully embrace the reality of where God is leading us instead.

John has been working with much persistence on his business ventures. Starting your own business is not for the faint of heart. There are so many obstacles to be overcome and so many different types of tasks you must take on. We are entering into these things as a family in part because of God's leading, and hoping that it will offer us a sustainable and flexible life-style in the future. Please pray for him that God would sustain him physically and mentally during this time.

Here are some reccomendations for great things we've enjoyed and been blessed/challenged by:

1,000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp "A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are."
The 100 Thing Challenge - A book on resisting the materialistic culture by which we are surrounded.
Grace4Life

We have the privilege of enjoying friendship with Johnny Long, the author of Grace4Life and a missionary and pastor for almost 50 years. He and his wife, Becky, have shown such amazing hospitality towards us and have welcomed us into their lives and home. We are currently part of a small group where Johnny is teaching the Grace4Life material. This is such a sweet season for us spiritually, in our 4 years of marriage this is the first in-depth sort of study John and I have been able to participate in where we are being taught and discipled by "seasoned" folks of faith. WHAT A BLESSING!

Much love to you all, Happy Spring!

~ The Mahshies


1 comment:

  1. dear Nicole, although your posts are infrequent, I always benefit from what thoughtful things you have to say, and I am blessed to keep up with your family in this way. I am especially touched about your thoughts on being a mother. I'll be thinking about this.

    with love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete