Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Molly Tomorrow"











We are the proud and giddy owners of our very own dairy goat, Ms. Molly Tomorrow. (Her name was given by our clever friend, Jim)

I (Nicole) am especially excited and thankful. I have wanted to own animals for some time now, and our Father who loves us worked out a great situation for me to step into goat ownership slowly and with a mentor. Our neighbor, Clyde, is an old southern farmer that was getting tired of milking his goat twice a day. The goat stays on property that he doesn't currently live at, so he has to travel twice a day to the property to milk. His wife has had some health problems and it's just been too much for him to keep up with.

I saw the sign in his driveway "Milk Goat for Sale." John and I had just been at the Carl Sanburg house the day before visiting with their famous goats and dreaming about the day we could own one. I called the number on the sign and went over and met my neighbor for the first time. He is willing to teach me milking and cheese making, plus I get to keep the goat on his property where he already has fencing and a stanchion set up! The corners of his property and my mother-in-laws property meet up so I can walk there in the mornings and evenings when it's time to milk.

What in the world are we going to do with a gallon of goat milk a day?

We're hoping to barter with some of it for local honey or other things.

John's Garden is officially planted, and we are so excited about this season, summer, and this season of our lives. We are stepping into some things we've desired to do for a long time. I'm sure there will be obstacles and trials and frustrations as there always are, but we're learning the beauty of this journey is found in what we learn through those things.

Much love to all.

John, Nicole, Anna-Joy, Eastwood, and Molly Tomorrow

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Congrats! So cool, we cannot wait to learn all about it from you guys. And we cannot wait to be close to you guys when we get back to the states! - w and n

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really neat! We hope to one day have the land to own chickens and bees. You should maybe look into tailgate markets as a possible venue for your goat cheese...I LOVE goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me girl. Let's catch up. I would call you but I don't know when you are near John's phone. :) Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete